Saturday, January 5, 2008

Vegan Dog Food Recipe #2


This was the second dog food recipe I tried. It is great for breakfast or a mid-day snack (for your dog, silly!) In case your computer is like my mom's and has a stroke at the mere mention of adobe acrobat, I will post the version of the recipe that I make here.

Vegetarian Dog Food Recipe by Asians for Humans, Animals, and Nature (AHAN)

1 Cup Quick-cook oats
1/4 Cup smashed, cooked Pinto Beans
1/4 Cup Wheat Bran
1 Tbs Soy Lecithin
1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
1 Tbs Wheat Germ
1 Tbs Ground Sunflower Seeds (unsalted)
1/6 Tbs Blackstrap Molasses
1 tsp Ground Flax Seed
1/2 Tbs Oil (Canola, Coconut, Hemp, etc)

Combine all ingredients. Add hot water to form an oatmeal-like consistency and let sit for 20 minutes. Serve.

You can add in any healthy veggies and fruit you have on hand for a little flavor. The soy lecithin I was able to find in the vitamin/supplement section of my local Whole Foods. The sunflower seed I purchased (already shelled) and ground myself. I don't always have wheat bran on hand, so I do leave it out occasionally (its main purpose is providing fiber, which most vegan dogs get plenty of.) I usually double the recipe, you can keep leftovers in the fridge for a few days, or freeze them in meal-sized portions.

Remember, variety is important to your dog's diet, so don't just make the same recipe over and over. Don't be afraid to experiment with different recipes and food!